This Week’s Question:
I really love your energy and reading your face book and Twitter posts. Just reading them motivates me. Can you please share some tips on how you have this energy so I can get some of it in my life. I think it would help me make some changes in my life.
1. Wake up early – I know most people want more sleep, but if you read and practice my other tips below, you will have more energy to wake up earlier. When you wake up earlier, create a morning ritual for yourself and only do things for YOU during this time.
2. Create a Ritual & Go to Local Farmers – Obtain a list of local farmers and local Farmer’s Markets in your area – preferably the organic farms. Plan a day to visit and do your shopping for greens, vegetables, fresh herbs, and meats. Make it an adventure and try a different fruit, vegetable, or other product. I have created a Saturday morning ritual and part of it includes visiting my Local Farmer’s market after an amazing workout. It truly is a satisfying and fulfilling experience to nurture my body, mind, and spirit – but it is also great to celebrate the local farmers and all their dedication and hard work (they are the best entrepreneurs!)
3. Power Up with a Green Smoothie: Green smoothies are my FAVORITE! Explore the power of greens! Making green smoothies is fun and will add a glow to your skin and vibrancy to your step…not to mention the improved mental clarity and focus! I can tell you from my own personal experience that there is so much power in drinking Green Smoothies – it’s a sure way to get your juju back – and instantly!
4. Drink lots of clean, purified water. You will be amazed at the difference in the way you feel when you are well hydrated. I replenish my body with a gallon of clean water a day and will never go back to less than this, because of the huge difference in how I feel – and I am all about feeling good! I know a gallon may seem like a lot, so start off with a ½ gallon of clean water and work your way up. Allow yourself the experience of feeling true hydration. The benefits are so wonderful – glowing skin, no more sugar or salt cravings, detoxification, and much more energy.
5. Good Fats: Good fats keep your metabolism on fire…burning – and this is good for your brain! It helps you feel satisfied. Be sure to include good fats each day. To do this, try Udo’s oil, avocado, or raw cod liver oil. Nuts are also a great source of good fat, however trade in the processed nuts and eat raw only – you will notice you will not overeat them, your digestive system will digest them with ease, and the flavor of raw nuts is very robust.
6. Refined sugars and processed starches are the devil – dump them like a bad freaking habit. Give yourself five days to eliminate them completely and you are going to feel a huge difference in your body and a zest for life – guaranteed! When you do this, you will wake up ready for the day instead of hitting the snooze button. You’ll feel calm, and even begin to have more passion! Learn about the impact of refined sugar and processed foods on your health, acid/alkaline balance, and intestinal health. Add raw organic veggies, sprouts, green drinks, green smoothies, enzymes, vitamins, and minerals to your diet.
7. Move Your Gorgeous Body! Work up a sweat! You will release feel good endorphins and get your lymph system moving, which carries away the waste and toxins! Walk, Jump Rope, Yoga, Run, Trampoline, Bike Ride, take a dance class, or swim. Try something new – or reconnect to a form of exercise you once loved. Just do it!
8. Turn up the “Feel Good”! Find, and regularly commit to activities that help you feel good and renewed. Some ideas: meditation, gratitude journaling, guided relaxation or visualization CD’s, nature, bubble baths followed by lathering your skin in your favorite body lotion. The point is to renew, add more you time, and just de-stress. Often we hold more stress in our bodies than we realize.
This Week’s Question:
Hi Karen -
I am an entrepreneur and professional photographer, and I am so glad I took the leap to start my own business! I love it! However, over the last 16 months of being in business my income has been all over the place. I wonder if it’s possible to have consistent income as an entrepreneur? I will have a flood of income come in, and then go through a dry spell financially. I really hate being in the “dry spell” and experiencing all the high and lows. My energy drops, I feel stressed, anxious about when more money will start to come in, and worst of all I begin second-guessing myself.
Will you provide some insight on the highs and lows so I can avoid them and reach my six-figure financial goals?
Santa Monica, CA
Hi Julie -This is a great question! I often see a lot entrepreneurs go through this. They realize they need more clients, so they get to work creating marketing, they launch their program, fill it – and celebrate! Now that they’ve brought all the new clients onboard, they are super busy with all the new clients’ needs – and the focus shifts. But here’s the zinger – the cycle of the financial highs and lows is about to start all over again.
Why? Because, while they were super busy working with their clients they stopped marketing.
Sounds familiar, doesn’t it? Well here is the good news – consistency. To avoid this money and energy draining cycle – consistency is key. You need to create ongoing marketing that runs whether you are busy or whether you’re at the beach! Here is a simple step-by-step system to cure your ailment:
Step 1: Create a Plan
Preparing a marketing plan is your first step. You’ll need to conduct some market research to determine who your ideal client is, what their needs are, how you can meet those needs, where to find the solutions you need to help your client, and the daily activities you need to do to keep your pipeline full. Some of these activities may include networking, speaking, teleclasses, and social media marketing. All of these are active forms of marketing that take time, unless you can delegate some of the activities or automate them.
Step 2: Implement the Plan CONSISTENTLY
Consistency is key in marketing. It does no good to have a plan that sits on your desk, cluttering it up. Consistent promotion keeps your service or product in the minds of your prospects and customers, and helps stimulate demand. Never let a day pass without engaging in at least one marketing activity. No piece of information (invoices, thank you cards, emails, mail, etc) should ever go out without your company contact information on it. Every communication outside your company is an opportunity for you to promote yourself!
Step 3: Measure Your Results and Make Adjustments
Without measurement, you cannot effectively manage. It is the difference between operating strategically and just doing “stuff”. Which one do you think yields better results? Set specific marketing goals every year and then review and adjust the goals on a quarterly basis. Each month, review your plan against the results you are getting. It does take time to see consistent results when you start a new marketing program, but if you have been going to the same networking meeting for 2 years with no leads…then stop!
Create consistency in your marketing program and not only will you stop the financial and emotional highs and lows, you will be assured a much greater level of success.
This Week’s Question:
Karen – help! It’s almost June (½ the year is gone) and I am not making any real progress toward my yearly goals. I don’t want this to be yet another year of not doing what I set out to do!
I am really frustrated and don’t want the year to come to an end and feel like a failure – once again. I want to feel a sense of accomplishment and pride when this year comes to end, and truthfully, I am already dreading the disappointment and feeling of failure of another year ending without meeting my goals.
Can you please give me some tips for succeeding and having my vision and goals realized?
Cindy – Denver, Co.
I applaud you for reflecting and doing a bold assessment of where you are at with achieving your goals. It takes strength to face your weaknesses and reach out for support! It’s so great that you have the awareness about where you are and where you want to be – and are able to determine that there is a huge gap. You can accomplish all that you want before the end of the year – but your belief in yourself is key. Grab your goals and apply the four simple (yet profound) strategies I’ve listed below to get you moving in the direction you really want.
- Meaningful Goals – First things first! Reevaluate and take a look at the goals you wrote out in the beginning of January 2011. Are these goals really meaningful to you? Do they light your fire of passion in you? To be successful in achieving goals, they must be meaningful to YOU. In other words, for us to accomplish goals we need to be inspired by them or have a strong motivation for taking the action to achieve them. Get clear on the meaning of each goal and why it’s important to you. To help you get clarity around your goals: Imagine that it’s the end of December and you have accomplished all your goals – what would that mean to your soul, level of happiness, health, well-being, and bank account if this ? Write this out and be specific, to see it clearly.
- What Is Standing In The Way? Now it’s time to look at what is standing in the way of achieving your goals. Have you created the focus and time you need – each day and week? Are there naysayers in your life? Do you have a high level of stress – like financial, relationship stress – is there any drama or chaos you need to let go of so you have more time to work on fulfilling your goals? I encourage to be bold and eliminate the distractions. Doing this will give you energy and the focus you need to accomplish your goals.
- Each Goal Must Be Specific – but also, you must determine the action that needs to go into each one in order to actualize each goal. Having a goal is one thing - but if you don’t know what action is needed you will stay stuck. Determine the action needed for each goal – break it down and begin to take the necessary action – immediately!
- Support: Build your support team this week. My life has completely gone to another level, because I have amazing support and accountability in my life. But I had to create this kind of support. I have a high-level coach, team, family, and friends that all full-out believe in me and stretch me (at times) way more than I think is possible! I will always have this type of support in my life. I realize that without it feels like ‘death’ to me. Having the right support in your life is key. It’s the difference between achieving your goals – or the disappointment of not accomplishing all that you desire.
If you are telling yourself you can do it on your own and don’t need support, I must be really truthful with you – you can do it on your own – but it is going to take a lot (and I mean a lot) longer. Why not make it easier on yourself to achieve your goals and have the life you desire, by getting the support you need. I guarantee you will LOVE the results!
This Week’s Question:
I feel like giving up! I am not making progress like I had hoped in my business and it feels like “making progress” is taking forever. I am starting to question if I made the right decision (or if there is something wrong with me) and maybe that is why I am not as successful as everyone else seems to be. I am working so hard – and the results are nowhere in sight.
Can you please give me some tips so I don’t give up?
Now is not the time to give up, Terry! (Take a colored index card, write this down, and tape it onto your computer for a reminder, o.k?)
Often when we are working too hard, and pushing too much not seeing the results we desire – we become exhausted and begin to question ourselves – and we simply feel like giving up.
But now is not the time to give up! You have come way too far and to turn back now! Below are four simple tips that will help you create forward momentum, much better results, increase your level of happiness and put the bounce back into your step!
1. Give Yourself Permission
One reason that we get stuck, overwhelmed, and frustrated is because we suffer burn out and fatigue from trying so hard. I have a private client who has doubled her success by practicing my coaching instruction to simply give herself permission to rest and stop pushing. If you are like me, you want results yesterday! However, I have learned (and coach many women) to slow down when struggle sets in. Don’t push.
When we are pushing and tired our reality gets distorted. Instead of pushing and beating yourself up for what you have not yet accomplished, give yourself permission to take a break when you’re tired and everything feels like you’re going against the current. Fatigue is one of the number one causes for burnout. It causes second-guessing of oneself — one of the biggest reasons people quit! When you feel like you are spinning your wheels – allow yourself to step away – regain clarity – and get your prospective back. By allowing yourself to rest and connect with joy, you’ll be happier and more successful. Creativity flows and you will be more productive. Commit today to giving yourself permission to rest.
2. Let Go
When we are pushing rather than in an effortless flow – we just need to let go. When you become blocked and stuck, it’s time to check in with how attached you are to the outcome. You will know when you are really attached to the outcome because you will feel exhausted and ready to give up.
I have seen private clients attract more clients, land speaking gigs, land a great job, and find the perfect match – just by releasing their attachment to the outcome. Once you let go, you will find yourself being more resourceful, thinking out of the box, and seeing new opportunities. Your happiness level will sky rocket and you will achieve the exact results you desire – if not better.
3. Push Through the Dip
You may feel like you have hit a low, but really it’s the transformational point leading you to success. You may feel like giving up even though you’re doing all the right things. You are doing all the right things – just not seeing the results. Seth Godin wrote an amazing book called “The Dip” — the plateau that separates the average from the best in the world. Knowing what to do when you hit the dip is so important. If you have hit the dip and you can honestly say that going forward is the best decision, then you continue to move boldly ahead until you reach the other side. It might feel like the hardest you have ever worked, but once you make it, the results will be tremendous.
4. Give Yourself the Gift of Support
Support and (accountability) is everything! Sometimes, we can’t see our own blind spots and this often slows us way down, frustrates us, and we end up working even harder. When you are doing things in your life and business that you have never done before, having support makes all the difference in the world!
Working with a coach will not only support you and give you accountability, it will push you out of your comfort zone. All my private clients are so amazed that prior to investing in coaching with me, they thought they either didn’t really need a coach – or felt guilty about choosing to invest in coaching. Now, after being coached they are committed to always having this type of support in their life. Why? Because, left to our own devices we don’t do what we should or could. When we work with a coach, we make more progress and do it more rapidly. I personally know this – not just from coaching hundreds of women – but from investing in myself and having MY OWN private coach.
This Week’s Question:
I constantly worry about money. Even though I make decent money in my business and my husband owns a fairly busy construction company – I feel like we live on a shoestring just to make ends meet. I feel so consumed by trying to manage our money that I break out in a cold sweat whenever I sit down to pay the bills at the end of each month.
I feel like we are never getting ahead, just barely scraping by – even though we constantly deny ourselves any “fun” for fear of not being able to meet our responsibilities.
I don’t want to live like this for the rest of our lives. Lately, I’ve considered seeking out someone who might be able to help me because I desperately need a plan!
Nancy – Cleveland, TN
You certainly are not alone when it comes to feelings of financial desperation. And yes, you do need a plan – we all do. But more importantly, when it comes to finances it helps to develop a NEW mindset. Let me explain.
Most people say “they can’t afford something” but the truth is they do not fully believe that they deserve to invest in that which they desire. You see, there is more than enough money for all us. What I know for sure is you don’t have to feel stuck because of money and you are not defined by your circumstances.
If you feel broke, and you want to invest in yourself to transform your life or business, you simply have to choose your greatest vision of yourself and fully feel it. Let me ask you: What do you often say about money and how do you feel about the idea of investing in your best life?
Wealth is first a state of mind. Once our mindset is right – then we begin to see the evidence in our lives. BUT FIRST – it starts in our minds. See yourself as wealthy, working with a coach or mentor who is showing you the way to your ultimate life. And fully connect to the feeling of seeing yourself in your greatest wealthy vision – make choices from here in your life now and take action from this place.
- Look at your money NOW. Money does not like to be ignored. Ignoring your money situation is only going to leave you feeling depleted, broke, frustrated, and continuing to believe you don’t have enough of it. When you ignore money you give it your power – But money does not have power over you. You have power over it.When you decide to look at your money now, you empower yourself and create an opportunity to have more of it in your life. You are demonstrating to the universe that you are full ready and committed to changing your relationship with money – in order to receive more of it.Here’s the deal: Money wants your attention and respect. If you are not willing to look at it and manage it with confidence – you are demonstrating that you believe in lack. How can you expect more money to flow into your life? It won’t – until you fully decided to move out of the lack and into the abundance. Looking at your money is about stepping up in your life and affirming what it is that you really want –the financial freedom to be – do – or have anything you desire.Looking at your money now means opening any un-opened bills. Make a list of money coming in and money going out. It means looking at your bank statement and seeing exactly where the majority of your money was spent last month. Setting up automatic payments – even if you can’t pay the entire bill in full is always helpful. Pay a little towards the balance and call to set up payment plans to make you feel good and in a place of having more control over the money in your life. Do it today and you will see what I am talking about!Get out of the energy of money worry.
- Get out of the energy of money worry: Constantly worrying, obsessing and in being in a state of worry, is not going to do anything positive about changing your money situation. It may feel like your “trying” to do something to change your money situation, but truthfully, you are not! You’re just worrying.Instead, move into calm and confident energy. Take a deep breath and make a list of 100 ways you can earn money – believe that it is possible and then challenge yourself to take action by writing out 100 possible ways you can bring money in. You will surprise yourself!Did you know that there is an unlimited supply in the Universe and that it is available to all of us? Not just some of us – but all of us!
- Believe you are fully capable and deserve to have money abundance: To have more money you must fully believe with 100% certainty that you can earn more money in your life. If you really desire financial freedom then you must begin to believe and change your thoughts about money. You are not your thoughts or circumstance – rather your life is a reflection of your choices – what you choose to think, believe, and the action you take.It is your birth to earn the money you desire, rather than struggle with money. You deserve to have all that which you desire including money.You must believe with 100% certainty that you are fully capable of living a life debt free, earning the money you desire and living with boldness.
- Start a Gratitude Journal. If you find that you are too focused on the “not enough,” write down 10 things for which you are grateful each day. Remember this: whatever you focus on – the good or the not so good – you get more of it. Put your attention on you, your life, happiness, abundance and all that you have to celebrate – doing this will make a huge impact in creating a positive money shift.
- Empowering Your Money Language: Please do yourself a big favor and stop staying: “I am broke and I can’t afford that.” It’s such a dream killa!Using this language is just confirming the fact that you are broke and chances are – you will continue to be. Instead, empower yourself and say “I am choosing to show up in my life and take new action to bring more in” or “I am choosing to not spend my money on this right now.”
End the Struggle for Good: If you have been struggling with money for more than 3 months – it’s time to get help! You need a coach or mentor who can help you transform your money story, so you can start living your dreams full out and enjoying a bold, brilliant and RICH life!
This Week’s Question:
Karen I have decisions to make and I am just sitting on them. I am afraid I will make the wrong decisions and therefore end up making no decision – at all. My life isn’t moving forward. I want to make better decisions for my life, career, bank account, and happiness – but I struggle. I think I am just afraid or maybe just unclear of what to do.
What can I do to get out of my ‘comfort zone’ and back into living life – the way I dream of doing? I’m afraid to move forward, but I don’t want to stay where I am now because I feel so unfulfilled.
Kathy, South Carolina
Kathy, I want you to fully see that you have the power within in you to transform your life, to know who you are and what you desire, and to know how to get it – NOW – through the incredible power of decision.
The only reason people do not make decisions is because of fear. Let’s get you connected to your heart so you can start to make quick decisions that will help you achieve what you truly desire. It’s time for you to get out of your comfort zone and get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
I know what it feels like to be in a constant place of indecision – it is exhausting at every level! We don’t make decisions when we spend all of our time and energy merely contemplating the thing – never making the decision, never facing the choices and finally choosing one. Not only that, but most of us often turn around and doubt our choice – causing even more indecision!
I know that you have a desire for more. I want you to believe that you can experience a greater level of happiness, success, and freedom in your life and business. I see that at some level, you are frustrated because you are feeling you are much more capable than what you are currently demonstrating to the world.
I get this! I have experienced – overcome this – and helped hundreds of women to do the same!
Today, I want to help you strengthen your ‘decision-making muscles’. The only way to created different results in your life and business is to make decisions in spite of fear. To make better decisions you must begin to make more of them, and make them with speed. The truth is you already know what decision is best for you, it’s just a matter of owning it and moving out of your comfort zone.
Fear is the only thing that stops us from making decisions. Rosa Parks is a great example of a woman who transformed and accessed her own power within. She created a huge movement in the world by making one powerful decision – to not give up her bus seat. She would not be denied! She did not let fear stop her. Instead, she decided to no longer tolerate the way she allowed others to define her or the position in life that she had accepted. As a result, her life and the lives of millions of others were changed forever!
A truly committed decision is a force that will change your life, as well as the lives of those around you. What are you denying yourself (and those you care about most) by not making a decision?
Making a powerful and real decision means cutting off any other possibility. It means you have decided that you will be denied no less than that which you desire.
It’s about Conscious Decision Making: This is where you decide what is best to focus on now – ensuring that you control and shape the outcome you desire. It’s not our circumstances that predicate our future – it’s our decisions. To create magnificent results in your life you must be consciously aware of how making decisions – or not making decisions will impact your future.
This is key: Don’t focus on the pain of possibly making a less than perfect decision. Your focus should never be on what could go wrong. Once you have made a certain decision, challenges or obstacles may arise. That’s a fact! You may even have to make another decision. But, instead of focusing on the potential problems (otherwise known as the fear of the “what ifs”) focus on your goal. Spend your time and energy focusing on what it is you want. Begin to connect pleasure with the making of a real decision toward a real goal – and not the mere possibility of pain that does not exist and, in fact, may never actually come to be.
If we were to think about this, about the pain of a decision, we would see that it always comes from the inaction. Not making the decision is always more painful – and pleasure always follows once we make a decision.
THIS WEEK: I encourage you to take out pen and paper and write your answers to the following questions:
- How does it strengthen my life to not make decisions and how does it strengthen my life to make decisions?
- What will it cost me if I do not make a decision and change?
- What will I miss out on if I don’t decide and make a shift now?
- What is it costing me mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and financially not making decisions I know I need to make?
To Your Bold, Brilliant & Rich Success!
This Week’s Question:
I can’t seem to do anything right! I made a New Year’s resolution that this would be the year that I would lose the 30 lbs. I gained during my pregnancy two years ago and do whatever necessary to build my online business to new heights. Here it is, the middle of April, and nothing has changed.
I feel like I will always be the one who just hopes and dreams to no avail. My girlfriends have tried to help, but I don’t think they can understand. They all work for someone else and don’t have all of the pressure and responsibility of owning a business. None of them has the weight problem I do. Whenever I tell them how I’m feeling, they just tell me it will all work out and that I worry too much.
I go to bed every night promising myself that tomorrow will be different – that I’ll quit spinning my wheels and accomplish more. But, for whatever reason, I keep failing to live up to my promises to myself, and I feel like I’m disappointing my husband and possibly even my friends.
What’s wrong with me – and how do I make it right?
Kelly -Frustrated in Florida
I am so glad you wrote in, Kelly! I reallywant you to hear me say this – “There is nothing wrong with you”!
The real truth is that you can be or do anything you desire. It’s not too late for you to meet your goals; in fact, you can turn things around starting today! So, let’s cut to the chase and ditch that entire BS that there is something wrong with you, and get you in a much better place, instead. Continuing to think you are flawed and unable to move forward is just holding you back and blocking you.
My Five Steps To A Better Place
Here are 5 steps that will shift your energy, motivation, and mindset. Decide to apply them today and watch your life and business begin to transform – instantly!
- Practice Motivation & Clarity. Let’s break this way down. My sense is that the combined thoughts of losing 30 pounds AND moving your online to new heights is depleting you – rather than motivating you. You see, you CAN accomplish it all and have it all – but first – let’s re-focus and break it all down into doable steps.Would you feel better thinking about losing 5 pounds instead of thirty? I bet you said yes! You see, you’re not giving up on losing thirty; you are simply shifting your focus for the next month to that of losing 5 pounds. It is what we do with consistency and momentum that allows us to achieve our goals.Breaking your goals way down into doable steps is key to unlocking your success. Instead of the much broader concept of taking your business to new heights – let’s get clear – what specific area of your business would you like to bring to a new level? Pick just one area of your business, and once you accomplish your goals in that area, then move on to the next area in which you would like to improve. Once you get clear, break it down into do-able steps and your motivation will sky rocket! Without motivation, we fail to take new action – and new action is always needed to create different results in our life.
- Ditch the “I promise and I’m hoping to.” Begin, immediately, to take ACTION. Take action like you mean it! The truth is – promises mean nothing. That is why, as you said, you keep failing to live up to your promises. You need new action! I cannot stress this enough – it’s all in the action.Once you gain more clarity about your goals and break them down into doable steps, then just look at them month-by-month. For example, by the end April define what you want to accomplish and then define the new action you will need to take to achieve this goal. If losing 1 ½ pounds by the end April is the goal – define the action(s) necessary to achieve this goal – such as: “Get rid of all junk food in the house and shop for nutritious foods that will support my goal to lose 1 ½ pounds by April 30th, and set my alarm 30 minutes earlier every morning to ensure enough time for a walk.”
- Stop worrying about what others think. The only person you are disappointing is you. No one else cares more about your life than you do, so take back your power NOW, by focusing on you! When you focus on what others think, you instantly disempower yourself, which is a complete distraction. It keeps you focused on what is not working and no new action will ever transpire in this place. You have no time for that. Your current level of happiness is less than what you deserve right now. You can’t disappoint others – they choose to be disappointed – remember this, o.k?You desire to live fully, intently, and with massive passion.
- Mindset – shift it now. I want your thinking to shift into that of being a winner! From this point forward no more thinking about what you haven’t done – once again, this does nothing but disempower you and keep you in the position of victim. Instead, imagine and fully see yourself as a winner, already in obtainment of your goals. How does this feel? Connect with this daily and often. See yourself in possession of you goals. This will make you feel so good and motivate you to take continued action.
- Find and Utilize Support. It’s important for you to build connections with like-minded people who get where you are in your goal setting, and can offer you helpful direction and guidance. This could mean making new friendships, joining a local group for businesswomen, or even hiring a private coach who can offer you important and effective tools you may be overlooking.
This Week’s Question:
I am always procrastinating and so tired of it! I have one day that is good, get things done and than three days of procrastination. It’s driving me nuts and I am beginning to think something is wrong with me. Could I be addicted to procrastination. Can you please give me some tips on ending procrastination?
There is nothing wrong with you and your not addicted to procrastination – don’t let your ego fool you! You are comfortable – that’s all. But, you also really desire more. (Procrastination is just the avoidance of taking action to get things done.)
Just because you know it well and it’s familiar – doesn’t mean you need to let it rule you. Imagine your new normal state of being — living in the life of you dream of – can you picture this? The more success we achieve, the more we get uncomfortable. Taking bigger leaps to achieve the ultimate success we crave, means moving the heck out of our comfort zone. And, procrastination is just a big disguise that keeps us stuck to what we know. Once you break the cycle – you step fully into the decision to be empowered!
Moving beyond procrastination means letting go of settling, getting clear about our desires, and be willing to get uncomfortable.
The following are my top 6 tips to conquering procrastination and living the life you crave!
1. Make A Commitment to Yourself!
Make a commitment to yourself that will show up each day in your life as the woman you were born to be! Now hold yourself to it, because you deserve to have the life you desire. Make a powerful commitment to yourself today.
2. Define Your Burning Desires!
Please do yourself a favor and stop telling yourself you do not know what you want. It may feel this way but your desire are within you right this moment, they may be covered up and been left on the back burner. Instead, make time to get clear about what you want and own this! Telling yourself you don’t know what you want is a sure way to keep procrastination around.
Create space, get clear, and really define what you want. Own your best life now by doing this exercise.
Whatever it is that you desire, write it down and make a list.
It’s like this — when you go to the grocery store you make a list of all the things you need right? If you didn’t have this list you would most likely forget some items, right? Make time today to write your desire out and be specific.
When we procrastinate, it’s often because what we are planning to do is not really aligned with what we truly want. Once you take time to get clear on your desires you will than need to take the action needed to manifest them.
3. Health, Well-Being, and High Energy!
Who has time to feel awful? Not you! You are meant to feel alive and on purpose. When you put your well-being first, your life and success dramatically improve. You will have so much more of the feel good energy needed to make positive changes in your life and take action on the things that matter most to you.
If you feel awful, chances are you’ll end up procrastinating and begin thinking something is wrong with you…because you keep on procrastinating.
What can you do today to empower yourself to have better well being in your life? Write down three things you can do – NOW.
4. Big Difference between Baby Steps and Acting Small.
“The difference between taking baby steps and acting small, is that one prepares you for success, the other for a fall.”
Cha, cha, cha -
Setting small goals for yourself will create forward momentum and make it much easier to do the next thing. Small goals that you accomplish put YOU in the driver’s seat, which makes you feel great!
Women often get caught up in “all or nothing” thinking and end up sabotaging themselves. Instead of thinking all or nothing, start thinking about the momentum and consistency made possible with small goals and baby steps. I promise you will feel so much better.
Procrastination keeps us playing a very small game. But, you are here to succeed – no doubt about it!
5. Visualize Life Without Procrastination.
Visualize you…showing up in your life in the biggest, boldest version of yourself. See and feel this. Imagine a life with no procrastination.
Close your eyes and see yourself in your life doing what matters most to you. How do you feel?
Use empowering words and STOP referring to yourself as a procrastinator. Would you rather been known as a women who kicks ass — or one who just procrastinates?
6. (JFDI) Just Freaking Do it!
JFDI NOW! – get out of your head and into your life. No excuses. Waiting until everything is perfect or you’re “in the mood” will always leave you two steps away from procrastination.
There is freedom and ultimate liberation when we Just Freaking Do IT!!!
Tell me what you will JFD today?
This Week’s Question:
I am absolutely thrilled to be a mom, wife and business owner, but there are days when I struggle and need “HELP!” I need direction and guidance on how to be more efficient and also GROW my online business. I think I need a coach – but have never worked with one before.
Can you advise me on what it might cost and some of the benefits I may be over-looking?
-A Clueless Admirer
Hi Clueless Admirer,
This is a great question — but first, let me say that you are not clueless at all. You are brilliant, because you already know you need support and direction, and have asked a great question.
This is such a huge part of really being honest. You are admitting that what you are doing on your own isn’t bringing the results you truly want. Anytime we say “I think”– it really means we know in our heart what we need to do to create different results. Also, I love your energy and excitement with the blend of your life being a mom, wife, and entrepreneur. But, it’s really important to line up the support you need, so you don’t get burned-out. That way, you will stay connected to your excitement and feel good energy.
People often say to me “Karen you are so productive and growing so much!” Yes, it’s true I do have lots of energy and I am motivated from within. But the real truth is, I would never accomplish what I do if I didn’t have a coach and an amazing support team. Working with a high-level coach has completely revolutionized my life and business. I am happier, more productive, focused, and have a much, much bigger vision for my life. I am helping more people and meeting so many amazing people as a result of my coach’s input, and I have tripled my income!
To be completely honest, I will always have a coach and mentors in my life because I know what my life was like before — without a coach — and what my life is like now, since investing in working with a coach.
I will never go back to not having a coach!
It’s important to align yourself with a coach who is already doing what you want to do, has the level of success you desire, and who is dedicated to her own growth and invests in coaching for herself.
Pricing varies and is different for all coaches. As with anything else, you get what you pay for. Less experience may mean less cost to you – but it can also mean less success for you. For me, I wanted to work with the best and was ready to pay for it — even if it didn’t make sense on paper. I asked myself (as I ask others), “What is it costing both emotionally and financially by NOT having a coach?” I knew deep in my soul, my entire life would change in a powerful way by hiring a coach. And it has!
The bold truth is that hiring a coach is not a magic pill. You must be ready to show up fully and do your work (which I know you are just from what you wrote). Often people say it didn’t work, when really they weren’t willing to dump the excuses and take different action.
As the saying goes — “You get out of it what you put into it.”
Having a coach for growing your online business will provide you specific strategies you need. A coach will create a plan to assist you with your greatest vision, support and help you overcome any fear and obstacles you may have, provide accountability and perhaps a different perspective. An excellent coach will always remind you of what you said you really wanted when you start to wander or get fearful. She will reflect back on your accomplishments, bring out the best in you, and offer you accountability. What I know for sure, is that by investing in an experienced coach, you will get the results you desire in a much, much quicker time than by doing it all by yourself.
Once you empower yourself and make the decision to have your own coach, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much your energy increases.
It sounds like you are ready to invest in yourself, your life and business. This is key. Private coaching is truly an opportunity to invest in yourself so you can become more of who you are and make a much bigger impact in the world. The world awaits your greatness!
This Week’s Question:
I am so completely overwhelmed right now with everything I have to do in order to get my business off the ground. The biggest problem is that I am trying to do everything myself…set up a web site, an e-newsletter, marketing, plan programs, set up my business bookkeeping system, etc. On top of this, I have a full time job. So, I try to sneak a few hours in the evenings but I can never seem to focus.
I have a goal of being in position by June to have a revenue stream so that when my seasonal full time job is over at the end of April I don’t have to go out and find another meaningless job that takes my time and energy away from what I really want to do.
I am so bogged down with overwhelm that I am approaching depression….and, considering that my passion is delivering positive presentations as a public speaker, depression is NOT a good thing.
It’s also hurting my relationship because I am totally not myself and very distant.
Where do I begin? If you could just give me a small clue as to something I can do to help me get focused I would be so grateful.
This is such a great question!
Women so often experience overwhelm. It’s really important to take a big, deep breath and slow down to gain a clearer perspective as you make this transition. I know slowing down seems counter-intuitive because you have set a very specific goal for June and that’s just around the corner. However, pushing yourself too hard is leaving you exhausted and causing even greater over-whelm.
To help you fully believe in your ability and potential to accomplish your goal by June, here are four very important steps to help you get focused – and stay there!
1. Determine exactly what you need financially. I understand that you don’t want to get another meaningless job – but you do need to bring in money. Often, we know we need money — we just aren’t clear on the exact dollar amount. Get very specific on your cost of living expenses and the expense of running your biz. These numbers will help you to be clear on your pricing and revenue streams.
2. Right now, you are doing everything by yourself, without support. Where can you ask for help and get the support you need? How much is it costing you to NOT have this support — both emotionally, and financially? Really — take the time to answer this question and be very honest. I encourage you to build on the ‘Deciding Factor’ and consider working with a mentor or coach to gain the support and insight necessary to carry you through on the path to your success. A coach can help lighten the load by providing strategies and tools developed over years of experience. You don’t have to go it alone – and in fact, truly successful women don’t!
3. Next, I want you to pick two nights a week (or one night during the week and some time on the weekend) to work specifically on your biz — and that’s all. Your sense of feeling good about what your doing will increase if you choose a specific time to focus. Schedule time when you can produce quality work, rather than “trying” to do some work each night. This will help you create a positive mindset and mentally prepare you for efforts that are more effective.
4. You mentioned all that you are working on: A Website, Newsletter, Marketing, Program Planning, etc. The best thing you can do is focus on one task until it is completed, before moving on to the next. As an entrepreneur, this is a most important skill to master — because there will always be a lot to do! The key is to accomplish a task with ease, instead of being in a consistent state of overwhelm. Trying to do some of each of these tasks is only going to lead to burn out and (as you mentioned) depression.
Let’s shift this, so you are able to feel a sense of accomplishment.
The first thing I would like you to do is prioritize your goals — in order from 1 to 5 — and with specific completion dates. So it would look like this:
1. Website — April 15, 2011 (3 Weeks)
2. Newsletter – May (pick a completion date)
3. Marketing Plan – May (pick a completion date)
4. Book-Keeping System (pick a completion date)
If getting your website done is most important, then we need to set some very clear goal dates. For example, by April 1st the home page and coaching programs will be done. Next, you will schedule your working hours to enable you to accomplish this. Once done, you move onto the next item on the list.
It will take mental focus and discipline to avoid getting caught up on everything else you have to do. But, if you can trust the process, your success will be greater! Just focus on one task at a time. Perhaps having a one-page website for now would serve you best. You can build the rest out later as you begin bringing in revenue..
And remember, it’s always important to let go of perfection. Become comfortable with doing things imperfectly.
Congrats to you! It sounds as though you have already begun to apply the ‘Deciding Factor’ to your life and change your current direction. By following the tips I’ve just given you – you will begin to experience an even more powerful, Bold, Brilliant and Rich Life!